Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Callopistria cordata (after a long hiatus)

I'm finally back to recording some moth sightings on this blog after a long hiatus.  I moved from my Nova Scotia farm to a city property in Moncton, NB, during which time I did not have the opportunity to photograph moths.  I am now in Sackville, NB, and much to my delight, I am in a location that lends itself to moth photography again.  I will once again be recording moth sightings by means of this blog.

Today I'm sharing a small but pretty moth - Callopistria cordata, which has the common name of Silver-spotted Fern Moth.  Its beautiful markings make it unmistakable.  I'm not that surprised to see it here because my new home hosts many ferns, which are the source food for this lovely species.

In some ways, it reminds me of the clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris, because of the white markings on the orange background.  At only 15 to 16 mm long, you have to keep a sharp eye out for this little moth, but it's worth watching for!

1 comment: